Wednesday, October 17, 2007

AV Wednesday: Kids Love Sports



You have to watch this video for the sake of the kid who shows up around the 1:02 mark. He references Super Bowl history and his fantasy football team...and he's what, 10? See, a lot of times we like to think that as adults, we are so much smarter than children. Sure, we have schooling and experience, and they don't. But I look back to some of my thoughts and ideas as a kid...and I have to think, not bad. I knew my baseball stats much better then, because I used to study my baseball cards methodically. Ha, ok, thinking outside of sports, perhaps I had better morals and perspective then, too.

I would say after watching this video, don't be too quick to turn your back on your "young" self, to think that you must leave your past completely behind as you grow. On the other hand, don't let your birth age or current age define you. I'm struck by how many bloggers complain about their favorite sports team or ESPN or what not because "It's not like it was when it was growing up." That might be true, but it can also trap you into comparing everything to how it was at some idealized age. Or, you're so obsessed with being 22 and being in college, let's say, that you don't dare do anything that doesn't fit with what a 22-year-old would do. Stretch yourself outside of your age; I can't remember the last time I spent some time with little kids. And looking at this video, I'm missing out; they are funny and refreshing.

Wow, that was a lot of moralizing. Sorry.

2 comments:

  1. kids are retarded. I'm so much smarter than all those kids...except maybe the kid who was talking about '96.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I'm a little scared of the kid talking about 1996. If he had started talking about his Protrade or E-Trade accounts, I would have just given up on life right there, ha. No kid can be that grown-up, right?

    ReplyDelete